4.19.2008

Welcome to the wonderful world of Cricket

So when my friend invited me to a cricket game, I was like, "Yeah this will be a cool cultural experience. I know nothing about cricket, but when in Rome..." Little did I know that we had tickets to the Indian League Premier Cricket season kickoff complete with a live band, fireworks, a laser show, dancers on stilts, skydancers, techno dance music, Shah Rukh Khan (that's right all you Bollywood fans, I was in the same stadium as Shah Rukh Khan), AND...cheerleaders?...from America?? The Washington Redskins' cheerleaders were present for the festivities and cheered during the game. For all you who have no clue about cricket games, cheerleaders ARE NOT a normal part of the game. It was kind of scandalous, actually and the cheerleaders weren't really that good! I didn't really know what to think. My world's were colliding big time! Part of the experience felt like I was back in the States at the SuperBowl (but I think this show was probably better than any Super Bowl halftime show I've seen on TV). Then I looked around and realized I was surrounded by cricket fans and I had no idea what cricket was all about at all. By the end of the game, I pretty much figured out how the game works. Bangalore lost to Kolkata, but it was still an amazing experience! Check out my flickr account for more pictures.

-C

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes we feel your cheerleaders back home. :-)

Michael said...

we feel like your cheerleaders back home. michael

Unknown said...

I just want to tell you Happy Birthday! I can't find an email address for you and I didn't think you were using your old one. So, I'm a bit late, but I hope you had a good one! <3 you!

Anonymous said...

yea, go Kolkata!