I arrived safely to Bangalore yesterday! I love it here. It's very different from Delhi. The first difference I noticed was the temperature. It's in the 80s in the day and 70s at night. The sun seems a bit more intense, but the weather is perfect! Not too humid or hot..yet :)
I am amazed by my living situation. It's much better than I could have ever imagined and I can't believe this is where I'll be living! I'll try to post pictures of the new apartment and neighborhood sometime this weekend. The street we live on is very quiet and safe. I haven't seen other parts of Bangalore, but first impressions are that it is more Westernized, quiet, safe and definitely not as bustling as Delhi. There are several parks here as well and there's even one close to my apartment. Everything is so green here to me in comparison to Delhi. Yesterday, my new roommate showed me around our neighborhood, took me by some markets and also by the office where I'll be working.
Today, I went out again to a busy market area of the city to look for material for clothes. I didn't bring many of my own clothes here with the intention of purchasing national clothes once I arrived. It's kind of fun to shop for fabric, but overwhelming at the same time because there are so many different styles, patterns and fabric materials to choose from. I bought enough fabric for three "salwaar suits" and each set cost around $6-$7. My next adventure is to find a tailor to make my clothes for me.
Next week I will be going through a lot of orientation type things for my new job and will be working on my language study plan. My primary focus for the first three months will be language.
Please pr. for my language acquisition. I'll be learning Urdu, but it's going to be a real challenge in this city because most people speak English. I'll probably end up going out to find Urdu speakers in the community rather than having the opportunity to be immersed in the language and culture - please pr. for opportunities and boldness on my part.
Thanks for your thoughts and pr.s! I'll do my best to keep you updated all the things I'm learning and my new adventures in Bangalore.
Peace,
C
Announcing a New Website Giveaway
3 years ago
3 comments:
Make sure to take some pictures of the "salwaar suits". That's so cool!
Haha! I will. It will be a few weeks before they get made, but I'll try to get some cool pics of them :)
Greetings from Bangalore! Through "turn of circumstances," if you will, "CD" and I arrived here on the same day! Our plans were made independently, and I am here for a friend's wedding. I plan to leave this evening, but for anyone who is wondering: I highly recommend visiting her while she is here. Come prepared for minor cultural adjustments (i.e., traffic, bathrooms, etc.), but also for a culturally enlightening time! Let me know if you plan to come--I certainly want to return someday (preferably while she is here!).
Post a Comment