
So, I thought it would be fun, and possibly helpful to language learning, to learn how to speak "Southern". I have friends here from Mississippi, Arkansas, South Carolina, Georgia, and Texas, so you better believe I'm getting some good Southern-speak schooling. I figure, if I can speak Southern then surely I can speak Hindi/Urdu, right? The way I see it, this is just helping me get in touch with my Mississippi roots. Here's my current list of Southern vocabulary that I'm working into my daily conversations (with Westerners). If you are a native Southern speaker, please feel free to suggest new vocab words!
1. Thur = "there"
2. Tyre = "tower"
3. Heeyil = "hill"
4. Rine = "Ryan"
5. O'ol = "oil" *this one is so difficult for me!
6. Yonder = "over thur"<--- see #1
7. Fixin' a = "getting ready to"'
8. Feat = "fit"
9. Fyre = "fire"
10. Yuna = "Do you want to?"
11. Yguna = "Are you going to?"
2. Tyre = "tower"
3. Heeyil = "hill"
4. Rine = "Ryan"
5. O'ol = "oil" *this one is so difficult for me!
6. Yonder = "over thur"<--- see #1
7. Fixin' a = "getting ready to"'
8. Feat = "fit"
9. Fyre = "fire"
10. Yuna = "Do you want to?"
11. Yguna = "Are you going to?"
3 comments:
speaking of "ryan"...dan has a friend that when he first met him thought his name was "ron" and when i've listened to voicemails i've often wondered who "ron" is :)
Haha! That's great :) I miss ya Jen-aAayyy!
This list is right on. Your friends have taught you well. I guess I should have done a better job training you in NYC. Speaking of which...I heard the ice-cream truck driving down the street the other day and I said to my boss, "I hear an ice-cream truck." He looked at me like I was crazy. Five minutes later...I proved my point. :-)
Post a Comment