2.11.2008

Light In the Darkness

A few weeks ago, I heard about a historical tour offered called "Bangalore Walks" and I finally had the opportunity to do the tour this weekend. The tour started at 7am in the center of the city, so I figured it would be best to be out the door by 6am at the latest in order to be there on time. I'm not fully aware of the traffic patterns here yet so anytime I need to go somewhere, it's always an adventure and learning experience in terms of how long it will take and how much the auto will ask for a fare. For example, the other morning, I needed to go to the same part of the city I was destined for on this morning and it took me an hour and a half to get there! Other times, it has only taken me 45 minutes. Mornings seem to have the highest traffic, especially around 9am.

I stepped out of my apartment at 6 AM and it was pitch black out and the main road was dead. I've never seen it that vacant before. All the shops were closed and no one was in the road. Could this be India?! My first thought was, "I'm never going to get an auto." There were no autos in sight, but I decided to start walking on the main road in hopes of catching a ride anyway. At first, I could see a little, but then the distance between the street lights began to increase. Five feet, ten feet, then 20 feet between each pool of light. "If I can just get to the next light, I'll be fine. If I can just reach it." There came a point on the road where there were no more lights and just darkness. I decided I couldn't go any further and stayed in that last pool of light on the main road, waiting for an auto to come by.

This whole ordeal made me think that maybe this is how the people here feel. If they could just get to the light, then maybe they would be ok. If they could just reach it and then stay in it. That's my pr.yer for them this week.


-C

P.S. Incidentally, I did get an auto. If you want to know more about what happened the rest of this day, you can find out here.

2 comments:

Cassie said...

hey cam,

just got a chance to read your blog (and your PICS!!), really like this post. what did you mean about the people there feeling that way about getting to the light? more than people in general? and why? also, hope you're feeling better! i didn't know you were sick. i'll pray for your continued health because it's so easy to get sick in a different country. i always get sick here. but, you have chocolate. so all is well. loooooove cas.

Cassie said...

um by that word above i meant prey, you know, like a fox. like a cheetah. yeah.