This is my neighbor's house across the street. I didn't even notice the decorations until I was cooking dinner that night and looked out my kitchen window. The next day the lights were gone and this is pretty typical here. No, they're not celebrating Christmas three months late. Most likely, someone in this household is getting married or a baby was born...or anything really. Anything to decorate and have a celebration. Indians are really good at this and put our holidays to shame. Because of the diverse population and religions in this country, it seems like every other day is a reason to celebrate some holiday. Last week was International Women's Day, a big deal here (was it the same in the States?).
Next week is a perfect example of what I mean:
Friday, March 21st - Good Friday and Eid-E-Milad
Saturday, March 22nd - Holi
Sunday, March 23rd - Easter
In just three days, Christian, Hindu and Mslm holidays are celebrated! I'm really interested to see what Holi will be like here. I've heard that it's celebrated with more fervor in the North and sometimes lasts up to a week long. In preparation for Holi, I'm wearing the worst outfit I have (aka "clothes I don't mind getting ruined"). Throwing colored powder is a big part of Holi and I'm told these colors usually stain clothes permanently. Still, it should make for some good pics that I hope to post here sometime next week.
Holi or Phagwah (Bhojpuri) is a popular, Hindu spring festival, observed in North India and Nepal, also called the Festival of Colours. In West Bengal, it is known as Dolyatra (Doljatra) or Boshonto Utsav ("spring festival").
On the first day, bonfires are lit at night to signify burning the demoness Holika, Hiranyakashipu's sister.
On the second day, known as Dhuleti, people spend the day throwing coloured powder and water at each other. The spring season, during which the weather changes, is believed to cause viral fever and cold. Thus, the playful throwing of the coloured powders has a medicinal significance: the colours are traditionally made of Neem, Kumkum, Haldi, Bilva, and other medicinal herbs prescribed by Āyurvedic doctors. A special drink called thandai is prepared, sometimes containing bhang (Cannabis sativa). People invite each other to their houses for feasts and celebrations later in the evening.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holi)
Eid-E-Milad is the the festival of the birth of the Prophet Muhammed. Look under "Observances" here to learn more about this festival.
2 comments:
Holi is celebrated here on UIUC's campus.. in fact i think i was walking out of TCBC to the parking lot one day and in that park area to the left (Illini Grove) people were doing the colored-powder thing.
I didn't realize there were more than one Eid- celebrations. I was in India during Eid-Al Fitr (I think that's what it's called), the new year celebration. Is Eid a common prefix? what does the word mean?
Intl women's day: from what I have observed, this day in the US has a really diverse following. Certain women's and human rights groups hail the day. Many college campuses would have students doing activities, speakers coming, official events, etc...
But then the average person may not know the day even exists. I don't know what the official explanation of the day is, I'm guessing it's not limited to the things that were typically being talked about in the US, or at least at UNC where I saw it ("progressive issues").
International Women's Day is a neat holiday. My friend from the Ukraine told me all about it. It is like our Mother's Day and Valentines Day all in one. The men really go all out for the women, and even more than we do on Valentines. It seems like many other countries like to celebrate more than our country does. In the Ukraine the Christmas and Easter are celebrated three days at a time and almost all the businesses close for the occasion.
Post a Comment