3.30.2008

The Twins finally have their party

So, for some reason the Twins that live downstairs didn't have their big birthday bash until today, but it was worth the wait! You'd think someone was getting married or something. Family members from out of town were there as well as almost every family that lives on our street. It was interesting seeing people in our neighborhood at a semi-formal function. I got excited when I started recognizing people. "Hey, that's the kid that rides his bike with training wheels that are bent up off the ground and don't even function!" "Hey, that's the family that owns the German shepherd!" Can you tell that I'm easily amused?

These are some pics of the lunch we had.

This is in the family's garage/ice business. They set up three rows of tables and people ate food in shifts. That thing that the guy is holding up is a banana leaf which they served the food on. Before they serve the food, you cover the leaf with water (I guess this makes it easier to grab the food?).


Here's a picture I took of the food after they served it, actually this was in the beginning of the meal, so this is a fraction of the food they served us. Sorry it's not a better pic. I took this after I had already started eating (with my right hand, mind you) and I'm really bad at taking pictures with my left hand only. The food made my nose run like crazy, but was sooo good. I love the food, but it's really hard to finish everything they serve you because it's such a large quantity of rice, bread and side dishes. My roommate and I were the last people that finished our food. The Indians probably finished 10 minutes before we did. Imagine this room with these tables, everyone has cleared out, and there in the back are two white girls sweating with runny noses furiously trying to finish their rice. Yeah, that was us.

After the lunch, we went into the family's flat to visit with all the relatives and wish the twins a happy birthday, or happy "burday" as they say here. I ended up chatting with a girl my age who lives and works in our city. She trains tech support employees how to answer calls and how to perfect their accent and grammar (all the calls they get are from people in US). So, if you end up calling Apple, CitiBank or probably any credit card/computer company really for tech support or troubleshooting, you may end up talking to this girl!

Have a great weekend everyone!

-C

3 comments:

Joshua said...

I'm jealous... I love Indian food. But I would love to eat it right in India with a banana leaf!

Anonymous said...

What? India is our tech support? What?

Authentic Indian food... off the banana leaf... without utensils... must... go... to... India... but... oh... so... expensive...*sobbing*

Shijo George said...

I remember trying to eat food off a banana leaf once; problem was we were eating on the floor, and I wasn't flexible enough to bend down and pick it up off the ground. All the little kids and scrawny uncles and aunties (do you call them this yet?) had no problem. Too bad -- there was a good chuckle and then I got a plate and a table.